Do you know that Hawai’i is ground zero for GMO crop experimentation? We have more permits for open air field tests than any other place on Earth. Chemical companies such as Syngenta, Pioneer/DuPont, Dow and Monsanto are experimenting with herbicide resistant and pesticide producing transgenic crops such as corn, soy, sunflower, rice, and papaya.
These tests are occurring near our schools and neighborhoods.
The chemical spraying is polluting our agricultural land, rivers and ocean. Since these permits are granted at the federal level, there is no local right no know what is being tested or where.
Hawai`i SEED is a statewide non-profit coalition of grassroots groups composed of farmers, doctors, scientists, lawyers, concerned citizens, and Native Hawaiians.
We are working on five islands to educate the public about the risks posed by genetically i organisms. We are dedicated to promoting diverse, local, healthy and ecological food and farming that supports real food security for the Hawaiian Islands.
We Have Successfully:
* Stopped the importation of a bio-pharmaceutical algae into Kailua-Kona through an Earthjustice lawsuit.
* Worked with Native Hawaiians and taro farmers to move the University of Hawaii to relinquish its three patents on taro and to agree not to genetically engineer Hawaiian varieties of taro.
* Launched a GMO papaya cleanup campaign, empowering farmers and gardeners by providing them with contamination test kits, teaching them how to save GMO-free seed and sharing cultivation solutions that are alternatives to GMOs.
* Shepherded an agreement among the Hawaii coffee industry stating that they do not want GMO coffee grown in Hawaii at this time.
* Sponsored annual Hawaii Island and Kaua’i seed exchanges, encouraging home production of food and increasing the food security of our islands.