GMOS IN FOOD
In the U.S., three major commodity crops are raised predominantly from GMO seed: field corn (92%*), soybeans (94%*), and cotton (94%*). *percentages are based on U.S. acreage as of 2015 (USDA)
Almost 98% of Canadian grown Canola is genetically engineered for herbicide resistance. U.S. sugar beet production is estimated to be over 95% genetically modified for herbicide resistance. GMO sweet corn, papaya, zucchini, and yellow summer squash are also for sale in grocery stores, but in far lesser amounts. Genetically modified alfalfa is grown for use as hay and forage for animals.
‘White Russet’ brand potatoes, genetically modified to resist bruising were introduced to some grocery stores in 2015. Genetically engineered non-browning ‘Arctic’ apples have been deregulated by the USDA and have been on the market since 2016.
Other Sources of GMOs:
- Dairy products from cows injected with the GM hormone rbGH
- Food additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents, including the sweetener aspartame (NutraSweetï¿½) and rennet used to make hard cheeses
- Meat, eggs, and dairy products from animals that have eaten GM feed
- Honey and bee pollen that may have GM sources of pollen
- Contamination or pollination caused by GM seeds or pollen
- Some of the Ingredients That May Be Genetically Modified: Vegetable oil, vegetable fat and margarines (made with soy, corn, cottonseed, and/or canola)
Ingredients derived from soybeans: Soy flour, soy protein, soy isolates, soy isoflavones, soy lecithin, vegetable proteins, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu, tamari, tempeh, and soy protein supplements.
Ingredients derived from corn: Corn flour, corn gluten, corn masa, corn starch, corn syrup, cornmeal, and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
Some of the Foods That May Contain GM Ingredients:
- Infant formula
- Salad dressing
- Hamburgers and hotdogs
- Fried food
- Veggie burgers
- Meat substitutes
- Ice cream
- Frozen yogurt
- Tamari and Soy sauce
- Soy cheese
- Tomato sauce
- Protein powder
- Baking powder
- Any sugar not 100% Cane
- Confectioner’s glaze
- Vanilla (may contain corn syrup)
- Peanut butter
- Enriched flour
- White vinegar